Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Fat Cat

There is something to be said for good old- fashioned hard work and perseverance!  Gwenn is the owner of the Fat Cat Gallery in a tiny town called Oak Ridge, NC.  She has out sold (my paintings) my "big city" galleries even in this tough economy.  Her secret?  Follow up with every client that walks through her doors.  She brings work to their homes multiple times until they are happy.  She called today with a commission project of (2) 30" x 60" landscapes!  This same client bought a 48" x 48" bird painting a few months ago.  Good work Gwenn!

What can you learn from Gwenn?  Be persistent in an "how may I serve you" kind of way.
Have a good relationship with your galleries. Keep in touch with galleries regularly. Keep them stocked with fresh work.  Drive the work yourself if you have to.  Get commissions completed promptly.  

August 30, 2011

I started a 48" x 48" figurative painting today that I hope will be shown in my Oct. 20th Art Show at the Lagerquist gallery in Atlanta, GA.  I took a 5 mile bike ride with my 7 (almost 8) year old son.  When we returned, I introduced our new 4 year old adopted Australian Shepherd to the chickens.  She tried to eat one.  Not good.  I won't try that again any time soon.
A friend/tobacco farmer came by to ask if he could use our pond for irrigation for his nearby field.  No problem.  He said that it has been the driest he's seen in years.  Maybe I can work out a barter with him.  He and his wife recently travelled to Asheville to look at a school for their daughter.  They saw my work at the Atelier 24 Lexington gallery.  Small world.


No comments:

Post a Comment