My goal is to blog almost everyday. I want younger artist or those who are thinking of making a living as an artist to have some insight into my everyday life. I'll start out with a few remarks or tips about the art business followed by just a journal of my day.
Artist are as different as there are styles. This is my story. I have worked in metal, wood, printmaking, painting, photography and ceramics. I spent my fair share of inhaling toxic fumes as I try to "experiment" with various combinations of materials. I choose paint over any other media but I also sculpt with metal from time to time. I have been a self-employed professional artist for 8 years now. My wife is also an artist and we have a series of paintings that we collaborate on in addition to her other work. We live on a 12 acre farm in North Carolina along with our 3 children, 8 goats, 18 chickens, and 3 australian shepherds. Our 2000 square foot studio space is right out the back door and overlooks 5 barns and a pond. We love it out here!
I'm represented by 14 galleries across the country. I usually do a couple of public art jobs and oil portraits a year along with my regular gallery sales. I only take jobs that are interesting these days but when I was getting started (first 5 years) I took any art-related job I could get my hands on. I'll speak more about that later, I just wanted to give you a little background info to get us started. Here's a link to my website if you are interested in seeing my work... Hibbardfinearts.com or at the Sparrow Gallery. A list of other galleries and links is also available on the site. Leave a comment if you like.
August 29, 2011
Today, I received 2 emails from galleries. One asking if I'd like to have a solo show in Asheville in November and the other was requesting 2 commissioned horse paintings in Boston. That's what I like to hear! No painting today, though. I decided to clean out one of my barns to make it into a self-sustaining guest cottage/man cave.
No comments:
Post a Comment